Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Pantoum Poem by Jonas Szepessy

Pantoum Poem by Jonas Szepessy

The Eternal Flame was dedicated in 1976

But I feel bad I’m not as confident as their grandparents 

Who transferred all our accounts

Because within this square lies thousands of unknown soldiers


But I feel I’m not as confident as their grandparents

Oh, y'all want bubbles huh

Because within this square lies thousands of unknown soldiers

And the next thing I knew we were milk


Oh, Y’all want bubbles huh

You want to go this way, okay

And the next thing I knew we were milk

Because the independence and liberty you possess are the work of joint councils


You want to go this way, okay

Who transferred all our accounts 

Because the independence and liberty you possess are the work of joint councils

The Eternal Flame was dedicated in 1976

4 comments:

  1. The thing I enjoyed the most about this poem was the random overheard lines of conversation. I also liked the grandparents stealing money part of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed reading your Pantoum Poem and for some reason I was particularly drawn to the line which reads:"Because the Liberty and freedom you possess are the work of joint councils"
    I like the reminder that this whole experiment required a team effort. I also liked the Line"you want to go this way,Okay".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this poem was such a pleasure because it is so incredibly written. The dialogue really brings the poem to life, but the other lines reminds the reader of the death and loss that pervades the square. I really like the line with the bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The line "And the next thing I knew we were milk" made me laugh! I wish I knew the context.

    ReplyDelete