Thursday, July 27, 2017

Ode to Restless Nights

Ode to Restless Nights
By: Shaylyn Westmoreland

Ode to restless nights

Was trapped in a web of dreams,
I am then brought to an uneased resting place,
gasping for a second of shut eyes and motionless mind trains I,
hope that the next night would be better
It seems the moon rests, and the sky falls to it’s resting place

But my mind never skips along clouds of quietude, why do I adore when

Emotions pick the worse time to start a fuse,
Then smoke rises and cloud my thoughts,
Scrambling to put out a fire just to save my sunset eyes
The back of my mind is the lion I can’t contain
And eats up my resting time
My thoughts weighs a ton, and there is not enough
time in one night to solve the world's problems

The silent hum of midnight approaching teases me
I love the uncertainty that comes with each night
Hearing the sounds of nothingness, and being surrounded by one
One’s problems, one’s thoughts, one’s uncertainties
Enough to drive one to insanity or to the completion of a night
Watching the sunrise, with weary eyes and still, not a thought out mind

5 comments:

  1. "The silent hum of midnight approaching teases me," creates such a vivid picture in my mind. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your diction/phrasing is so interesting: "motionless mind trains" and "my sunset eyes." I also really like your comparison of your mind to a lion--powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Scrambling to put out a fire just to save my sunset eyes"

    more on that please- I want to know more... this compels me. cool use of language- run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaylyn;
    Wow, What a great piece. Who couldn`t relate to experiencing those inevitable restless nights.
    I especially liked the line in which you write; "Emotions pick the worst time to start a fuse. Then smoke rises and cloud my thoughts." Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a night owl, I love how you've captured both the calm and anxiety of nighttime with such vivid language. You play so beautifully with the reader's expectations, like in the last stanza. "The silent hum of midnight approaching teases me" sounds like something negative, but you follow it with a line about how much you love uncertainty. I think my favorite line is "there is not enough/time in one night to solve the world's problems."

    ReplyDelete