Thursday, July 27, 2017

Pantoum Poem

A pantoum poem has a set pattern of repetitive lines. Project Write campers created pantoums using overheard bits of conversations, plaques and signs around the park.

Pantoum Poem
By: Julianna Reidell
Written in and Inspired by Washington Square Park, Philadelphia

Hold on to the sliver of peace.
Now it’s hard, but-
Our souls are connected forever.
I didn’t really feel like I was a friend.

Now it’s hard, but-
Wind-tossed seeds blow through my hair.
I didn’t feel like I was really a friend.
No Dogs or People Allowed In Fountain.

Wind-tossed seeds blow through my hair.
The Society of Little Gardens.
No Dogs or People Allowed in Fountain.
Do you understand that, my friends?

The Society of Little Gardens.
Our souls are connected forever.
Do you understand that, my friends?
Hold on to the sliver of peace.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you chose to italicize certain lines, which I believe came from plaques or signs? The final three lines of the poem are very powerful put together as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if we believed that our souls are connected forever we might have the sliver of peace to hold. Enjoyed your poem. Keep writing and I will keep reading. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your poem two different ways. Once with all the words and once omitting the words in italics. I pretended they were private and only known to the author like a juicy secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first stanza is my favorite, even though it's a little sad and wistful. I think that tone is very fitting for a place like Washington Square, which has such a tragic history. It's really cool when the lines you randomly gathered for a pantoum end up making sense together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Julianna;
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Pantoum Poem, and I found it to be a powerful piece. Whenever I visit Washington Square I find it to be a stimulating place ,rich with history , ideas and characters. I believe that you were able to capture that in your Poem.
    I especially liked the line: Hold on to the sliver of peace."

    ReplyDelete