Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Zephyra's Blog Post

                                                                             Pushed


Martha is dead.


This is all I can think of, the height and depth and breadth of my existence. It does not matter that my cot is dusty enough to choke a body, or that the heaviness of the shadows here could weigh down the sun itself. They keep it real quiet here, too. There is no sound to draw me from the horror of it.


Dead. My little sister is dead.


I press myself deeper into the sharp concave of my corner. There is nothing but horror. No anger. I got here rightly, by all I know of the law. No remorse. That man got what he deserved. The horror will fade, eventually, and then I don’t know what will be left. Grief? Loneliness? Or maybe nothing. 


Maybe I would’ve killed him, had they not pulled me away sooner.


I close my eyes against the harsh insouciance of the skylight. I’m glad they did. I wasn’t planning to. I don’t want to be a murderer. I don’t want the memory of Martha to be more sullied than it already is. I had just wanted to ask a few questions. That was all.


But that face… he could barely hide his sneer. Sit down, he told me. He pulled out a fat cigar. Lit it.

“Thank you,” I said. “I have a few questions about the death of my sister. Martha Lamb?”


"Miss Lamb was injured in an accident with one of our machines," he said. "We were given to understand that her death occurred on your property."


“Yes, sir. But I was just wondering…” I struggled to keep the desperation out of my voice. “She has– had– a few… disagreements, and I think someone might have pushed her?”


"That’s not our concern," he said. He blew a puff of smoke in my face. 


I kept trying. I needed to know. I needed to know for a fact that she had not been pushed, or at least not by who I think did it. 


Because if it is as I fear, then her death is my fault.


The conversation degenerated. I became desperate. He dismissed me and picked up a book. My purse was heavy. Maybe I could’ve killed him. His face was a mass of purple and green and red when I saw him at court. Him with his fancy lawyer all dressed up. I could’ve gotten Martha to the hospital with that money. He could have sent her to the hospital, instead of home to us. If only he’d done that, she would’ve lived.


But Martha wasn’t his concern. Just his money maker, another one of his machines.


She bled to death, didn’t even make it to nightfall. I lean my head back against the wall and open my eyes. Better that wretched skylight than the memory of what was once her arm, a crushed and bloodied ruin of bone and flesh. Better that the shadows press down on my shoulders and crush me than seeing her face, agonized and lifeless.


I might be the reason she’s dead.


I do not think I can bear this silence much longer.


4 comments:

  1. Zephyra;
    I very much enjoyed reading your passage today. I liked the way in which you immediately drew
    the reader into the story with the opening line "Martha is dead". I was able to feel the emotional strain that your main character was feeling through your description of 'the heaviness of the shadows weighing down on the Sun" As a reader I appreciate that you provided some ambiguity and mystery over whether or not your main character was responsible for the death of Martha Lamb. I hope that you will keep writing and tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so deeply sad, I almost didn't want to keep reading. But the narrator has such an immediate, clear voice from the outset, tortured yet steely, that I felt compelled to stick with them. I'm especially intrigued by the hints that it's their fault that Martha died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zephyra; This was so moving and I enjoyed hearing you tell it in person today. It was so powerful and one can hear the torture that the narrator is going through. "The sharp concave of my corner", I loved that imagery. There are these beautiful passages, "...harsh insouciance of the skylight", yet the narrator comes back to their working class roots with "Him with his fancy lawyer all dressed up." Please keep writing! Amazing work! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a story that will stick with me. The reveal of the way Martha died and the class and power dynamics at play is so well-timed. Stark lines like "I could’ve gotten Martha to the hospital with that money" are absolutely gut-wrenching. I care about these characters as if I have spent the span of a novel with them. You achieve that closeness in just a few hundred words. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete