Thursday, August 3, 2017

Stand Up

Stand Up
By: Essence Pembleton

All these colors I never saw before burn at my eyes 
and I can't take them away now that you pointed them out 
skin color stands out like a sore thumb in the media 
"Black man shot by local cop. Claimed the man had a gun.
and everyone is trying so hard to have their opinions heard
but no one can hear them over the gun shots 
and the crying families all over America who lost their sons
or their daughters. The ones who were denied
and I've sat here so silently in my privilege afraid to speak out
but enough is enough and it's time to help
so I will stand beside every black family in America and 
we will try to win this fight

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Essence;
    I would like to thank you for displaying the courage to "Stand Up' and call attention to the senseless violence that is plagueing communities across the nation , and in particular communities of color. We need to hear more from young writers like you about what ideas you have to adress many of our society`s problems. Please write some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the first line really compelling because it's such an apt description of what it feels like when you learn to see race/ethnicity/color--or more accurately, the injustices that come with it. It's not something you can ever unsee. I love the conviction in the last few lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem starts out really strong-- I think its an experience that a lot of people can understand, and it's definitely a jarring kind. I like how you started the poem off citing some difference and end it on a stance of unity.

    ReplyDelete