Friday, July 15, 2016

Corner

They posted on the corner till 12 o'clock. Running down my alleyway when they see the cops. Arguing over money my stomach is in a knot. Because I know something is about to pop. They do a lot of work then they get mad. Customers give him money and then he passes off a bag. Make it look smooth so they shake hands. They are trying to provide because he's a dad. It get crazy when you see a shell pop. Kids just do it for the shell tops. They posted on the corner like a mailbox. Here come the leader with his drop top. They call him the man, they call him the plug. In that game there is no such thing as love.They do it so they some proven thugs. No thought at all no light bulb. It was me and my friend started 9th grade. Now he on the corner tryna get paid. Came to me bloody we had those days. But he said "this the only way". I walked to the corner He says " Why you on my worksite". Tried to get him off I said " Bro this ain't right. " What they say about us do you want it to be right" He said " I don't care, now he on the corner every night. Not going to be him focus on my music. I'm cursed with a blessing so I got to use it. Everybody on the corner in one unit. But all of them are just clueless. The craziest thing I saw was a little girl picking up her mom package. I'm just looking, people on the court putting in practice. To get a toddler involved the mom is a real savage. That just burned my world down like I played with matches.  

- Heek Trill (Shyheed Osbey)

8 comments:

  1. Another powerful piece, Shyheed! You really make strong use of dialogue here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shyheed, this is a very riveting and powerful piece of writing that you submitted. I believe that many of us can relate to having either friends or family members who have made poor choices in life. I liked in particular the part were you write that"I`m not going to be him I will focus on my music. I`m cursed with a blessing so I got to use it.Keep writing Shyheed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first reaction..WOW! You are an excellent writer, reporter and outstanding person. There are so many lines in this writing that shook me to the core. I do not live in that world but through your writing I felt some of the pain. The little girl picking up the package for her mother made me cry. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Mrs. E. Those last two lines in particular shook me to the core. This is an incredibly powerful piece.

      Delete
  4. Every person who replies to your post says WOW, and I wholeheartedly agree. I say WOW to all of today's posts! At first each post seems so different. But then I think about them and I see repeating themes or ideas or questions.
    First I see individuals who want to be seen and appreciated for who and what they are. Individuals who work hard to be something others will admire and respect. Is the boy on the corner who wants "the man" to see him as a good employee different from the girl who works hard at a private school?
    What about family and friends? The boy on the corner "in one unit" is looking for what the girl has in her family and friends. The musician knows that the boy is looking in the wrong place but will his song make a difference? Is the girl's song any less meaningful? Can we ever find a common song?
    And what about the moms? Does the mom who sends her daughter to pick up her "package" love her daughter less than the private school mom? If she didn't "need" that "package" would she be so "savage"? What about a mom who only wants her child to smile all the time, is she being unreasonable?
    The Corner and The Academy, so far apart and yet so close. Or are they? Where are those gods when we need them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read this, I hear and feel the music of it. Piercing focus on the realities of street life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shyheed,
    You have a really strong sense of internal rhyme (like 'drop top') and rhythm. A question: did you write it as prose on purpose? When I read it out loud, it sounds like it's meant to be a poem, but the way that it's formatted is like a paragraph. Can't wait to read more! -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyheed,

    This is beautiful work that really touched my heart. Seeing others going down this path can be one of the hardest things in life. I am so glad you are using your art to express your experience - this is SO important because most people are silent on these problems, yet they have such a huge impact on society and on our daily lives.

    If you ever need support, or know someone who does, I highly recommend Nar-Anon groups - it is just a group of friends who understand what it's like to have an addict in one's life. They don't give advice, just support! Since I have gone it has changed my life!

    Please keep writing and being amazing!

    ReplyDelete