Thursday, July 14, 2016

It Takes a Father


It Takes a Father

Thinking bout a lot of things. Just thinking my city need a ring. So Ima going to get a trophy just watch and see. Ima make them wanna be me. My city is crazy my city is crazy. All my closes friends having babies. Singles mother in apartments with no AC. With a dead beat dad his father is real lazy. But they just don't want to pay that child support. They either smoking Black N Milds or on the corner selling ports. But dad be salty spending time in court. These single mothers need support. It takes a father to turn a boy to a man. It takes a real man to give a hand. Take them out and have a plan. Because two parents makes a kids understand.
By:  Shyheed Osbey

7 comments:

  1. My favorite line is: "It takes a father to turn a boy to a man." You've got an important message here, Shyheed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful. You are very aware of the problems that face many people, especially single moms. Those last five sentences contain more knowledge and wisdom than I have read in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really powerful story. I really liked how you observed an social issue closely in your writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every word in this piece bursts with passion, it creates a really vivid sentiment. Since you keep your sentences short and stick with a rhyme scheme, every one of your lines feels like a punch, like a harsh truth, and makes the whole thing really impactful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sparked such a powerful conversation in our descriptive review group yesterday, Shyheed. I like how you hold on to pride in your city while still recognizing its issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shyheed, I noticed that you were able to describe in a nutshell a serious problem that afflicts our community,that is the issue involving children growing up in single parent homes were often it is the dad who is absent.I especially resonated with the line were you state that "these single mothers need support, it takes a father to turn a boy into a man. It takes a real man to give a hand. This piece of writing is in a way a personal one because I grew up in a home without a father. Great work keep writing Shyheed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This touched me. I feel some heartbreak being expressed here. I had two parents, but they were very flawed. And so I found it necessary to "mother myself". Once we can walk and talk, we can search for people to nurture us. Thanks for doing such a good job of provoking my feelings and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete