Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Images and Words

Students visited the Portrait Gallery today where they thought about how images and words work together. Below are word pile poems the students created for a portrait.

Solemn Evening
The solemn evening
With a calm, red glow
People walking at leisure
Where social class mattered

The man living in the moment
lives tranquil
a moment in time



Mourning
The sunset on a funeral,
Her wealth sprouts from her scalp and curls
around her neck
A masked grin from a mourning mother's face


5 comments:

  1. I like how so much can be communicated with just a few words. I the first poem, that last line leaves an echo in my ears and makes me want to know more. I also really like the descriptive imagery in the second line of the second poem:
    Her wealth sprouts from her scalp and curls
    around her neck
    --> it's nice to see this description without turning it into a simile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great beginning, but I want more. You are putting questions in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that both poems wee striking in their ability to capture the emotions that have been triggered in both paintings. In the first poem the line that reads " with a calm read glow" adroitly captures the mood in the street scene. The same holds true in the second poem with the sentence"Her wealth sprouts from her neck and curls around her neck" Please share more with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the students rewrote their stories based on their reflections and observations. Yes, please share more with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how "Mourning" plays with contrasts, like how there's the image of warmth/light from the sun but the gloom/solemnity of a funeral in the same line. Also the idea of a grin from a mourning mother, which is a line that provokes as many questions as it answers.

    ReplyDelete