Monday, July 11, 2016

Mind Over Matter

In this jungle it's mind over matter. I'm just a project boy climbing ladders. Making big moves why they getting madder. I'm all the way up like I'm flying like I work for NASA. So up  must of stop up in heaven. Ima get higher, y'all can go ahead and keep on betting. Y'all talking bout I'm lucky like ima the number seven. Give yall a artist y'all will never be forgetting. Let's talk about this brutality going on in ma nation. They need to resign these cops instead of vacation. Hating on my brothers because we young dominations. Because the cops to da a world we Abominations. Me and cops we don't see eye to eye because they dilated. Slam us on are stomach like they tryna get us constipation. We successful in are own way so why cops keep Hating. Because we beating the statistic up like we some boxers with some combinations.

By: Shyheed Osbey

7 comments:

  1. My favorite line in this is "Let's talk about this brutality going on in ma nation." I always learn something when I have a real conversation with someone different than me. For me, a "real conversation" involves a lot of listening, a lot of empathy, and the willingness to be open-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the contrast between the first and second half of the poem is really interesting. In the first half, there's images of lightness, like "flying" and "heaven," whereas the second half gets very physical/painful, with boxing and people getting slammed on their stomach. I love that the physical images of the second half really get a point across about the strength and pain it takes to fight police brutality. Thanks for sharing such a powerful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make such strong use of similes, Shyheed! You prove that writing really can be a powerful way to respond to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading the second half of the poem, I noticed how much of the poem talked about physical things: dilation, constipation, slamming on the stomach. It was powerful the way you used specific physical actions to highlight big ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words easily portray images in the reader's mind. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow; this was a powerful piece.This was a very creative way in which to present the modern day problems involving police brutality. I especially like the way in which you left the reader with a sense of hope in your closing sentence" Why do cops keep hating,because we beating the statistic up like we some boxers with combinations. Please write more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite line in this poem: "They need to resign these cops instead of vacation." Keep writing Shyheed and never be afraid to voice your opinion.

    ReplyDelete