Thursday, July 21, 2016

Tides

Has there ever been someone that you can't stay away from?
Your friends deemed them toxic
You've probably developed a couple of stress pimples,
but you're still drawn to them?
Well that's my case.
Skittles, Justin Timberlake and basketball don't mean the same to me anymore.
I feel like Alice when she fell down the rabbit any time I look into a boy's brown eyes
Falling deeper and deeper until I reach his heart - 
Just to break it.
Shards of beautiful ruby were scattered.
Pieces so tiny that I'm still trying to put them back together
my hands can't work fast enough and my mouth won't form the words that'll bring him back together.
I still think about the mornings of skipping busses - 
just to see him
Standing out in the cold with a dress on because I thought he'd like it
Waking up on time to fix my hair and get my eyeliner perfect... 
...just to realize he preferred me natural
but that was okay. 
Traces of him are still in my phone despite how much I hate him deep down
but this burning I feel each time I hear that name
See his face
or even think about him
isn't hate.
It's another 4 letter word that scares me beyond scared
a word that I won't say, but I'm saying it at the same time.
While I pour my heart out endlessly he's probably worrying about someone or something else
Song "Our love has gone cold
you're intertwining your soul
with Somebody Else"
"I hate to think about you with Somebody Else."
The term "there's more fish in the sea" means nothing to me
Dang, if anything I'm the fish and he's my sea.
He’s everything I need to survive but
If I die then it’s just another fish gone.
That’s until his entire ecosystem starts screwing up.
Overgrowth of certain plants
Maybe undergrowth
Excessive amounts of whatever I preyed on.
But that probably won’t make his tides stop shifting and from his waves crashing on the sand.
I’ve realized he’s better off anyways. 
In my eyes, I was a beautiful dolphin he enjoyed keeping sheltered in his waves.
A dolphin that belonged in the deep blue but ended up in shallower tides
His lack of depth almost killed me, but I stayed anyways.
I ended up beached on his shores.
Turns out he’s wanted to get rid of me for a while.
However the sweet taste of release set me free from him
And my release being sweet for him too
Because he was free from me.

By: Santana Outlaw

4 comments:

  1. Young love, there is nothing like it. It takes over your world. I like your writing and love your choice of words. You are an artist with words who can paint pictures in your readers' minds. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santana, I must say that you have expressed with great eloquence the power of being in love. I greatly admire your choice of words. " but this burning I feel each time I hear his name ,See his face isn`t hate but another 4 letter word that scares me beyond scared" I think that you have the makings of a great writer. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have added to this piece after posting it on Write4Change! You writing is very expressive. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you get down to real life in this piece from "stress pimples" to "I feel like Alice" to "his waves crashing on the sand" - these all express universal concepts. Despite our differences, we all have felt the stress and despair of falling in love only to lose it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete