Friday, July 28, 2017

My Powerful Dream

My Powerful Dream
By: Kenya Chestnut

I have many dreams. Whether it is attending Stanford on a full scholarship or even becoming the second African American president, I am a big dreamer. One dream in particular  has been the same for the past three years. Being a professional soccer player. I started playing soccer after being mesmerized by the 2014 world cup. Even though the United States was obviously not the best team, I was fascinated by their passion. It was passion that I had lost for baseball and basketball, despite being good at both. I was also fascinated with the passing, movements and tactics that were involved, there is a reason why people call it the beautiful game. Since then my dream has been to play soccer professionally. It is the reason why I can get up at 6 and go outside to kick my USA soccer ball against the wall. It is the reason why I can run three miles on a treadmill at ten miles per hour. This dream is powerful. Sometimes I struggle between going after it or more realistic or educational dreams. My mom is a principal and my dad is a lawyer. There is so much pressure for me to do well educationally that I often find myself focusing on going to that great college or becoming a lawyer just like my dad. There’s only one problem, my soccer dream is more powerful. It is something that I believe in and I find joy when working for it. There is a feeling that I get for soccer that I have never had for anything else. It’s scary. It’s scary knowing that millions of people have the same dream like mine. It’s scary knowing that the most competition to make it is in this sport because it is the world’s most popular sport. There is a saying though. If your dreams don’t scare you, then they are not big enough. My dream is big, and it is hopeful, but I will put in everything I can to make it a reality.

8 comments:

  1. I admire your honesty in this piece, and I agree that you should dream big! It sounds to me like you have the dedication to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passion really comes through in your writing. My favorite part is when you describe why you love soccer. Don't be afraid to write about that even more! I also love the saying that your dreams should be big enough to scare you, it's such an inspirational idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are exploring and thinking about the tensions that most young people experience; doing what it is in your heart and doing what you think your parents and other adults in our life want you to do. In the end, it probably is best to be true to yourself and follow your own path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kenya;
    After, reading your piece, I was impressed by the amount of passion and intensity that you have for soccer. I,too was particularly inspired by the Quote that you included towards the end of your piece;"If your dreams don`t scare you then they are not big enough". i think that it is possible to be realistic and pursue your dreams simultaneously. I would like to read more about your interest in Soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful writing. Go for your dream and if it does not work out then go to school for something else. Why would we believe that someone at sixteen or seventeen knows what they want to do for the rest of their life. To be really good at something you have to love it. There you have step one out of the way. The next step is hard, hard work. Go for your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if you've ever spoken with your Mom and Dad about what their dreams were, growing up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading about your “Powerful Dream!” I am reminded as an educator of how often I have told my students to follow their passion and dreams. I have witnessed many of them accomplishing their dreams. Exposure is the best test to know what you want to do in the future. You have definitely been exposed to your dream (soccer). Remember this: Anything is possible!!

    ReplyDelete