Thursday, July 27, 2017

Oney Mare Judge Stains

Oney Mare Judge Stains
By: Amara Oklngwu

Leaving for Liberty
Taking her chance
Realized her fate,
And took in her hands.
All along, she knew she was enslaved…
But-had to ask-was it really that way?
Proper clothes, and a place in the house
Little she knew she was as oppressed as a trapped mouse!
She’s reassured she has value, and that makes sense…
The question is “is is sentimental or five pounds, and sixpence?”
“No you would never be sold!
...But given as a gift.”
But she begs to differ…”what’s the difference?”
Still objectified and treated as a pet
Couldn’t imagine if she and her deliverance had never met
No longer a materialistic present, she slips into the night,

With liberty already sooo close, the old life is nowhere in sight...

3 comments:

  1. I know the story of Oney, but I find your poem much more compelling than many articles and speeches about her. I like the sense of emotion in the stanzas you are providing and it makes me wonder what I would have done in her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amara;
    I must say that in reading your piece that I think that you did a commendable job in capturing the drama that was Oney Judge`s life. I was particularly compelled by the stanza in which you write:"Couldn`t imagine if she and her deliverance had never met. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job with this piece. I do not know the story of Oney Mare Judge, but I will now make it a point to read about her. You have pulled me in with just enough information so my interest is peaked. That is a sign of excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete