Friday, August 4, 2017

Cell Blocks

Cell Blocks
By: Assata Patterson-Lyles

I walk in a room and I stand in the middle, as I stand here, in this old room, this old building
I realize it’s a cell. As I’m here, in this 21st century world I try to imagine the people who
Walked up and down this hallway, an’ ran across the field out back. All the people in the
Prison trying to make a living with the little light they get each day,and the some who don’t

get light, well they die, from depression, unhealthiness, and unhappiness.


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate that you are trying to take the prisoners' perspectives here, and pairing it with the picture really adds to the power of your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sentence structure and phrasing combined with the imagery really adds to the atmosphere of the poem. It helps to set the tone for understanding your experience with this room.

    ReplyDelete