Friday, July 27, 2018

2-sentence scary stories

Today our Project Write group visited the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site. While there, we took inspiration from the father of terrifying tales and wrote our own 2-sentence stories. Here are a few of our creations for your fearful, trembling enjoying!

I was yelling at my brother, but he was ignoring me. I touched his shoulder and my hand went right through. (By Gabriela Petit)

I was frustrated this morning because I couldn't find my shoes. I crouched down under the couch to look for them, and a black, demonic figure handed them back to me. (By Emily Jarosiewicz)

They've killed a lot of vermin. Human and otherwise. (By Iris Kim)

Driving in my car, I started to drift asleep until I heard a beep of a horn. When I looked to my backer, there was no one in the car moving behind me. (By Dylan Henry)

As I brushed my teeth, I looked into the mirror. I was not there. (By Talia Pott)

I hate that I've gotten used to being alone. It hurts that no one visits me at my grave anymore. (By Haley Hutchinson)

I pulled back the covers to my bed. A gaping hole smiles back. (By Talia Pott)






8 comments:

  1. Wow! Some scary stuff here. I'm hoping these develop into longer stories. Dylan, I'd love to watch this on screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Emily, I love that the demon is handing the shoes out from under the couch. It builds anticipation - just these alien hands appearing from under the furniture without a face, or a body - and draws the reader in. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds one day! Ranger Beth

      Delete
  2. A Pennsylvania FarmerJuly 28, 2018 at 4:50 PM

    All of these stories are great, and super-creepy! I really liked Iris and Dylan's stories because they suggest a lot, without actually saying it. In the case of Iris' story the reader is left to wonder who it is that is killing these "vermin." If some of the vermin are described as being human, are they being preyed upon by something that is...inhuman? Dylan's story suggests some sort of supernatural intervention. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read a blog post today, the words completely captivated me. I'm still struggling to be free, commenting with my one free hand.

    Loved these! Thanks for sharing with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone of the lines were great. I love Poe's stories. I hope that you will write the rest of the story that goes with those lines. Since I read your ideas I have been trying to come up with one of my own. Not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These work so well when the first sentence is ordinary and the second sentence has a twist. Some really excellent 2-sentence scary stories here. Have you thought about posting them as images? (i.e. https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Short-scary-two-sentence-horror-stories-fb.png)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [ loved reading all of these short scary stories.I would love to see either one of these two sentence scary stories expanded into a larger narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is not a weak link in the chain with these stories. It is amazing how much can be said with such a concise structure.

    ReplyDelete