Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Nathan's Blog Post

 What I Hide From You


Take me back to a time when the cicadas sing me lullabies

and I scream ferally for the warmth of your skin.

So unlike the heat I feel in the pockets of my cheekbones

as I flip through memories, searching

for a word I know I will not find.

Believing that I am chosen, that I can do no wrong

as I relish in the taste of your blood

oblivious to the hand above my head.

Hear me, as I know that it’s not unlike

a dog on a stake, left to howl like a wolf

night after night. A guttural cry come out a whimper

as I dig my grave this afternoon. But the sun

has set too soon and our lies are festering 

into something mauve, and it seems like 

whenever we speak I’m peeling back your skin

peeking into something private,

something I was never meant to see.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I feel like I could read this ten times and discover something new each time. The language of babies/tenderness in contrast with the harsh/violent imagery is stunning.

    I especially love the first two lines: "Take me back to a time when the cicadas sing me lullabies/and I scream ferally for the warmth of your skin." The beginning made me expect something beautiful and gentle, which makes the second line so powerful. I love the reversion of cicadas singing soothing lullabies, when they're usually considered to be the ones screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how vivid the imagery in your poem is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so powerful, I don't even know where to begin. So much raw emotion...love, anger, disbelief. I will need to read it several times, but it moved me deeply.

    ReplyDelete