Thursday, July 28, 2022

Nathan's Blog Post

 Kalopsia

I remember the smell of your hair burning,

        melting             as it laid like a silk sheet beneath the iron I held in my hands.

Sometimes, I think that it’s better this way,      to be like strangers,

                   so that one day,               we can meet again.

                  Like we are young, we can bicker            until one of us makes face

         and there will be a field to pick. I remember this about us because

I was there,         even when you were not. You said to forget about the stars

                                                                           but I was pregnant with the skies,

                                    and so, I chose to forget you instead. Plucked from my memories

                       Not like an orange from a stem,

                                     but like a hangnail from its roots,           with force and

              something that I like to call        reluctant glee. If anything, I want you to remember this,

                                                that love is a fickle thing,

                                                         that whenever you smiled at me,

                                                                   I lifted my ax         to mend another broken tree.

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful piece. The line "Sometimes, I think that it’s better this way/to be like strangers/so that one day/we can meet again as friends" so perfectly captures the bittersweetness of a deep relationship ending. It makes me reflect on every friendship I have lost and regained. What a privilege to be able to experience and reflect on this kind of coming apart and coming together again.

    ReplyDelete