Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Ava's Blog Post

CLEANERS


Cleaners come every wednesday, to dust and drum
On shaved shelves shadowed by germs and mud
And rugs weary with blood from pinky crumbs
Blood I have dripped from people's thumbs
When they tell me how helpless, harsh and humorless
My being appears as they drink beer and smear
Looking down on my job-- not their preferred career,


So I take their tireless title and their polished ears
Drag their lobes as they gag, forcing them upstairs
Prick their skin, like bubblegum and watch them say their prayers
And then remove them from their chairs and bury them downstairs
Occasionally I doubt my intentions, let guilt ration my insides 
Sometimes it's hard to see their families cry, shrivel and barely make it by
But I continue to drag, drip and let them die
Because l will forever let the cleaners come while I remain the  bad       guy

9 comments:

  1. It makes a lot of sense, and also brings to life the fact that cleaners are not seen by everybody even though their work is appreciated by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good horror poem that paints a gory picture in your head... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very dark and creepy! Good poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The details of everything the character sees make it dark and eerie. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t choose which phrase I find the most chilling, the most vivid—maybe it’s “drag, drip and let them die.” The alliteration gives it an almost singsongy quality that makes it more horrifying because of what it’s talking about. It also points to how routine this procedure is for the character. Part of what makes this disturbing is that we’re walking in on a character who’s got this down to a science, not someone who’s done this once. The character might be a cleaner, but there’s something so surgical about their descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You nailed the horror in this

    ReplyDelete
  7. aah! This is marvelously terrifying. The alliterations, external and internal rhyming schemes throughout the poem- spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was gory and I loved the part about prayers like their begging for their lives before they die.

    ReplyDelete