Thursday, July 23, 2020

Cora's Blog Post

Every morning started exactly the same for young Jonathan Porter: wake up, make the bed, dress, eat a little bit, and travel to Independence Hall. He arrived before those important enough to go through the front door showed up. Jonathan considered himself equally as important, for without him there would be no writing. Each morning he measured out enough ink for each inkwell and placed them on the desks. The many important names and figures making their way through the building notably did not share the same sentiment, as they rarely spared a glance towards him and the other maintenance workers. 

The morning of August 2, 1776 started even earlier than usual for Jonathan Porter. He woke around the time of 3:30 a.m. and quickly performed his morning routine before setting out to his place of work. As he walked, he couldn’t help but feel a nagging in his mind telling him something was off. He knew what would be happening today and he knew the importance. History would be made! He passed the feeling off as excitement and nerves, hoping everything would go smoothly. 
He arrived at the building feeling even more anxious than before. Nevertheless, he made his way to the back door and slipped into the room he called his “office.” Despite the size rivaling a closet, he kept a small desk where he wrote his own documents. If he snuck a bit of ink from the building’s collection, who would ever find out? He sat and wrote of his dreams for the country, knowing higher officials had already written their own. A month after the formal declaration, today is the day the document would be filled with signatures, changing history forever. Realizing that it had lightened outside, Jonathan stuffed his papers into the top drawer of his desk and grabbed the key that allowed him to collect the ink and quills needed for today. 

He shuffled down the hallway and stopped in front of the room he had become quite familiar with. Opening the door and collecting inkwells and fresh quills for the day was the easy part. What happened next made his heart stop and the color drain from his face. 

“George! George!” Jonathan whisper-screamed at the slender man polishing the railing. 

“Shhhhhhh… There are some men in there preparing for the day. What’s wrong with you?” George said, his finger pressed to his lips. 

“We seem to be out of ink. I swear I restocked, I have no idea what to do.” Jonathan began to really fret now, over the initial shock of his irresponsibility.

George looked astonished, and quickly grabbed Jonathan to drag him to the storage room. 
“What do you mean you’re out of ink?”

“I mean there’s no ink to be put into the inkwells and therefore no ink to sign the Declaration of Independence with.” Panic set in for Jonathan now, and the hybrid of disappointment and pity in George’s eyes did nothing to help.

“I need to return to my work, Jon. I am sorry- I do wish I could help you but I can’t risk being fired.” 

George made his way back to his duties, leaving Jonathan to his own devices.

8 comments:

  1. I liked how you used phrases like "whisper-screamed" and "hybrid of disappointment and pity." They make the characters seem authentic to me. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In just a few paragraphs, I grew to feel protective and sympathetic toward Jonathan. The part that makes him particularly endearing is that he steals some ink to write out his own dreams “knowing higher officials had already written their own.” The image of this young boy in Independence Hall who is there to facilitate the words/writing of others nurturing his own craft in stolen moments makes me root for him. I love that you make the setting and character feel fleshed out by opening with a routine that feels lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post! I liked how Jonathan's relation to the founding fathers and the new world around him is developed. I think you particularly did a good job at laying out what was going on in a straightforward, delicate yet intriguing way. Can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your post! I liked how Jonathan's relation to the founding fathers and the new world around him is developed. I think you particularly did a good job at laying out what was going on in a straightforward, delicate yet intriguing way. Can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome writing! It's very easy to visualize Jonathan as he quickly becomes overwhelmed with panic and regret. I especially like the last line, "George made his way back to his duties, leaving Jonathan to his own devices." Brilliant word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cora- I loved how you used an historical event in this case the signing of The Declaration of Independence as the backdrop for your story featuring young Jonathan Porter. I am waiting in suspense. As I read your story it reminded me of times in my life when I made mistakes. I cannot wait find out what happens next. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cora,
    I loved to hear about the signing of the Declaration of Independence from Jonathan's point of view. Having the steaks be so high (with the empty inkwells) was a great idea!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cora- it's the little things, right? August 2, the day they are to sign the Declaration and poor John Porter pilfered too much ink! I'm really curious where your story will go.

    ReplyDelete