Thursday, July 23, 2020

Gabriel's Blog Post

Note: My story was inspired by the year 1799 engraved into the wall at Independence Hall

*********************

‘Twas July 4, 1799. I woke up from my hot sweaty bed to a beautiful morning in Philadelphia. Today was not just a regular day, because my family and I were celebrating the 23rd anniversary of the founding of America. 

My dad is George Clymer, a politician, representative of Pennsylvania, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. We are celebrating this special day by having a reunion with some founding fathers on the terrace at Independence Hall.

When we arrive at Independence Hall, we walk up a couple of long flights of stairs and enter out onto a terrace that overlooks the city. I see George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, and so many more founding fathers. Throughout the night, there is food, drinks, and laughter. Toward the end of the night, some of the founding fathers started to have a private debate on current issues and policies. Their kids and I go downstairs to catch up with each other. We talk about how much fun we’ve had seeing each other. As I am leaving, I stop for a moment and pull out a small knife from my pocket and carve the year 1799 into the wall, because today is a day I'll never forget. 

4 comments:

  1. What a great adventure your imagination took you on.





    Your imagination took you on a great adventure. You saw George Washington and many other leaders who created our country. Did you know that George Washington died in December 1799?













    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel- I like the way in which you created an historical moment and presented it through the perspective of a young person in this case the son of George Clymer. I hope that you will continue to develop your story. I would love to hear how the young man feels about having such a distinguished father.I hope to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabriel- I really like the way you created a backstory for the graffiti in Independence Hall. I'd be interested to see how the story develops- maybe he revisits the graffiti later in life and reminisces about his father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriel,
    It was so cool to hear about the backstory behind the graffiti! I hope to hear more about George's adventures.

    ReplyDelete