Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A change for women

A change for women

It's bothersome that a woman or girl can not walk on the streets in broad daylight without the fear that she will be hurt or cat called. It happened to me a few times when I walk home from school and all I could do was roll my eyes because as they say boys will be boys but that's not true if you instill respect into them they'll know not to be vulgar to a woman or girl on the street. It really bothers me that if I take the train and wait for someone at the station I have to keep my eyes out just in case someone decides to hurt me. Girls have this thought implanted in their heads from a young age that you have to dress properly or you'll be a distraction and it continues to be put into brains till the ending of time. If they get raped they are a victim but they all get blamed because she was showing legs or a shoulder or that her dress was to tight. But what if it's a fully clothed woman and she still gets raped? How is it her fault? Instead of telling girls to dress proper tell boys to respect women. We're not object we have a heartbeat and feelings.

By: Sarah Baksh

12 comments:

  1. All of today's posts are outstanding. I really agree with Sarah's message. A tough message that needs to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your post made me think of our visit today to the Dolley Todd house. I think that women have made great strides in equality under the law since Dolley's time, but not so much progress against objectification. Do you think we'll see any real change in our lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a message that needs to be repeated over and over and over again. Hopefully, one day it will be understood by the majority rather than the few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're writing about this! In high school, no one really talked to me about how anxiety-inducing it can be to just walk down the street, so I thought I was being weird and paranoid. It wasn't until I got older that I started hearing stories from other people and realizing I wasn't alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it either until I started walking home and I started to get paranoid when I thought a car was following me.

      Delete
  5. I love that you call out the overused expressed "boys will be boys" as not true! Thank you for this piece, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's hear all the boys respond and make the change for men! It's up to us men to be good leaders and examples of how to behave in civilized society. It was men who voted for women's suffrage a century ago; now more than ever it's men who need to say again to Sarah: "you're right, we need to change this."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with what you wrote. It is really sad that girls and women are afraid to go out nowadays for fear of being attacked for their looks or the way they are dressed. Whenever I go home by myself from somewhere, I always end up being extremely anxious for fear of being noticed by any males, young or old. Even in school, the female students are taught that it is mandatory for us to cover up and not show any possible skin for fear of distracting the male students from their work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding piece. You are so right on! When are we going to demand from men the respect due all females. I dealt with this in my youth and that is over sixty years ago. Time to make this an issue that desires an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, Thank you! for sharing this piece, this is a subject that needs to be adressed not only in our society but around the world. We have to do a better job of educating the males about respecting the rights of women. Please keep writing Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing really makes me think about blame and how everyone wants to blame someone else for their own situation. In so many instances, we want to blame and promote the self-shaming of others to deter attention from ourselves. No victim of violence should ever be blamed for that act.

    ReplyDelete