Friday, July 22, 2016

This that I do

What kind of writer am I?
It’s complicated
Undescribable
Very seldom will you find it
Therefore unrivalable
I don’t boast luxuries I don’t have
I don’t write about romance
So what is there to write about?
I don’t cry about the cruel injustice in the world
Or sit around feeling sorry for myself
So what else would i write about?
Why should I write about an economy or a species
That the very fact that i am apart of it brings me shame
I don’t have or care about feeling
So i can’t write about that
I mean I could but why would i want to?
Fiction is too truthful
Like any other human i can’t bare it!
Non-fiction is a lie.
But…
But this that I do:
Is the fine line’
The fine print Which between underlies.
But i refuse to write about that.
This that I do:
It’s the uncensored story of a world
A world everyone chose to live in ignorance of;
Simply because it’s easier to accept than the candid answer.
And why listen to me spin a whimsical tale
of an old, rusty, dusty, abused, rickety
Abandoned factory of a land!
That only i can see?!
You could be chasing whimsical, grotesque, mythical creatures
That Only you can see.
I don’t waste time trying to inspire a world i don’t care about.
You don’t care enough to waste time to look right there
Yeah
That...little...thing there.
Right there.
Oh yeah, you can’t see it.
Because until this day, you didn’t care enough to realise it’s existence...
Or maybe you didn’t want to.
So again, why should you believe me?
I could be telling the truth…
But i don’t waste my time on that.
I could be telling you... fiction…

I’ve been there


I live there.


By: Style Luxe


2 comments:

  1. I love the lines about fiction being too truth but non-fiction being a lie. I thought about that for some time after your performance yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the theme of "finding your voice" in this poem is a very strong one and a great idea to work with. In it you consider what kind of writer-specifically poet-you are and I can feel your struggle.
    You have written some wonderful lines:

    Why should I write about an economy or a species
    That the very fact that i am apart of it brings me shame
    and the imagery of:
    And why listen to me spin a whimsical tale
    of an old, rusty, dusty, abused, rickety
    Abandoned factory of a land!
    That only i can see?!
    is strong, moving and wonderful.

    As for ways to improve the poem, you clearly state your theme in the first line of the poem- you are trying to find your voice. Therefore, you can eliminate future references to the theme throughout the poem, lines such as "So what else should I write about?" and "So I can't write about that." Try reading the poem taking these lines out and I believe you will find it to be a much stronger piece.
    Enjoy the journey of finding your voice as a writer and as a human being.

    ReplyDelete