Friday, July 21, 2023

Abeni's Poem inspired by Poe's House

 

At Poe house with no one else here
You can almost hear
The black cat squeak as if he is near

The black cat saved that woman
But my question is how did the cat appear?
(in the wall)
The body is found … it takes a great fall
Police knocking on Poe door

Trying to solve a missing person case
Seems Poe is now on a chase
Where he is misplaced
In another state

Lying in the street
What a mystery
But now;current day

At Mr.Poe house
Knowing this is where he killed eat and sleeped
I am able to look around Mr.Poe house and obtain amazing pieces of history


-Abeni Johnson

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the way you blended the fiction of Poe's stories with the nonfiction of his life! The first stanza is my favorite because the language is so vivid and creepy. You make me feel like I'm right there in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That transition from the story of the Black Cat to the mystery over Poe's own death in the third stanza is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoyed the way in which you were able to draw the reader into your piece of work.I like the imagery of being in the Poe house alone.,trying to imagine hearing the sound of the black Cat. I thought that it was very effective how you linked the mystery of the black Cat along with the mystery of Poe`s final Days ,and also how you brought the reader back to the Present.

    ReplyDelete