Thursday, July 27, 2023

Blog Post by Joseph Chang

The Artist


On that day, a late June afternoon

Unaware was I, of the terror that was to come soon.


Following the suspicious reports of many

I came to face an artist whose presence seemed quite uncanny.


The man would inquire, how may he help me?

To which I allowed him to see the reports for which I came to see he.


But my suspicions would soon manifest

As I would find as the artist’s guest.


Soon I entered the man’s small, lonesome house,

Which showed no sign of a spouse.


A closer look would reveal something strange,

Paintings covering the walls with no apparent range.


Each of these, of another woman,

All with eyes that seemed to follow.


But what was stranger still,

Each I recognized as abducted and killed.


And with body’s faces never found,

Each case had never come around.


But at once, I felt an indescribable chill.

My heart went stiff, body to a standstill.


At a moment’s notice, I fled the site.

But the ensuing night, the house had vanished from sight.


3 comments:

  1. I love the idea, not just of the artist being something to be afraid of, but also the house being something to fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this Poem to be full of suspense. I like the manner in which you describe the portraits in the house:"Each of these of another woman, whose eyes seemed to follow". Iwas even more spooked
    by the diappearance of the house. I hope that you will expand on this Story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how atmospheric this is! It reminds me of Bluebeard. It became even more chilling when I realized the artist wanted to be found--otherwise he would've made the house disappear! It sounds like the speaker is perhaps a detective/cop, and yet the artist wasn't scared at all.

    My favorite image is the paintings following with their eyes. Something about your word choice makes them seem cold and detached, like they're patiently waiting for the speaker to join them on the wall.

    ReplyDelete