Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Blog post by Maggie Schmidt

Mary White Morris Acrostic Poem

My parents were respected

At twenty I married my husband

Robert Morris is respected too

“Young but dignified,” they said about me

We, women, are married into dignity

Hosting is my profession

In addition to the children of course

Trouble came to Washington 

Exceptional funds were provided by us

“Morris family saves US Army”

Our family, but just Robert

Rising fear as Robert was imprisoned

Rushed help came quickly but I declined

Independent I will remain

Society’s host


-Maggie Schmidt

3 comments:

  1. I thought that you did a superb job of encapsulating Mary White Morris`s life in this Poem.
    In the beginning you mention that Mrs. Morris came from a priveleged family and that she was expected to be a good hostess and Mother,however, you also were able to show your readers Mrs.Whites strength and resilience as her Husband will help finance the war of Independence and eventually fall into debt. I especially liked how you emphasized the word Independent as a way to illustrate her courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about the last two lines feel sad to me, as if Mary is putting on a mask of strength through her hardships. It almost seems like being society's host is the only bit of normalcy she has left.

    It's also interesting that you highlight a different side of independence. Of course, we often hear that word in a positive context, but in this case, I think you're pointing to the way it can leave someone alone/in a tough spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job at making me think about Mary's perspective in the story traditionally only featuring her husband. Your last lines suit the story well and are quite thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete